Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A meltdown I can live with….

From my last post we were staring down the barrel of a potentially shattering event in Japan. What I took from that was the serious rally in Treasuries was going to be short lived if (a big if but I thought) the events in Japan were blown out of proportion. The media helped us out there and thankfully things did not get worse then they already were. So the current meltdown I can live with is in implied volatility. Let’s take a look at how that spreads out over an AlphaVision Landscape.

The view I chose here is 1 Week Change in Stock and Option Implied Volatility pricing. Height is the change in 1 Week 30 Day Implied Volatility. Note you do not see many buildings sticking up. By and large there was a collapse in this measure. The next landscape data point (color) is change in price. Any name in red sticking up has higher implied volatility and lower prices than last week.

3-23-2011 11-00-11 AM

At Aqumin we call this a ‘parking lot’ because it is so one sided. When a name like Centerpoint Energy Inc (CNP) sticks out I take notice. The implied volatility held up and the stock is up, which is pretty rare in the 3000+ optionable names you see in the landscape. Maybe the little rally in CNP has some legs…

No comments:

Post a Comment